Anime

9.19.2005

Akira Baby.
There is alot of anime out there. Anime has become one of the most popular forms of art expression among our youth. It has become infused with pop culture (not just anime, but a whole Asian sensibilty). Everything is influenced by it. Videos, video games, animation. It is like many "fads"; has gone from a few good, innovative things, to too much infusion on the market. Take a look at some of the American cartoons on Cartoon Network, and how influenced some are by anime. In fact, Teen Titans, is blantantly influenced by anime. Personally, I am a fan of GOOD anime. Good anime seems to be going the way of the dinosaurs.

Anime, was first influenced by Disney's anthopormorphic features; don't let anyone tell you different (I spawned a huge flame war on the [adult swim] forums about this, no nothing idiots). The first anime, were pretty much copied from Bambi, and Japanimized (Malach's word). Anime slowly became the most influential form of animation as the Japanese developed the style, and a more "adult" form of cartoon story telling. While Americans were force fed some very shoddily produce Hanna Barbera cartoons, Anime was moving the cartoon genre forward throught the 70's and 80's.

As the 90's came around, anime was still underground in America. You do not know the troubles I had to go through to see a subtitle version of Akira. I still treasure my Fist of the North Star comics. Akira is still the benchmark for any anime, and in one way that is very good, in another bad. Good as there is some near impossible to do better (think trying to remake Revolver by the Beatles), and bad as there are plenty of bad clones of Akira. As the millenium rolled around, the genre exploded, being featured on Cartoon Network, and influencing all forms of animation.

Go you your local Hollywood Video, or equivalent, and look at the thousands of titles in their anime section. Randomly rent 10 of them. I bet if you really analyze it, you hate 9 of them. Like any fad, there is now a over abundance of crap.

Here are some examples. Inuyasha. Loved and adoresd by supposed anime fans. Very over rated. Not particualrly notworthy, but there are RIF's(Rabid Inuyasha fans) all over the internet. Even worse for the Dragon Ball series. Don't get me started on this crap.

You want good anime? Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, a few to get you started. I am sure some of my Buckos will fill in some more for you.

Buckos.
Still working on a little badge of honor for you guys. I love you all . . . platonically of course.

Crystal Velvet and Voltei.
THANK YOU FOR THE HELP WITH PSP. I am so excited to show my new skills. Crystal is the owner of Cartoon Orbit the Complete Guide. Join her forum.

So were finally going to the moon for real
Anyone really still think we went to the moon in the 60's? I am not going to get into this here, there is plenty of info to go over this.

But you cannot take my Beauty.
I love this.

The Mood of Red Sox Nation:
Same as yesterday, no game yet.

Malach's Quote of the day.
I realize I forgot one yesturday, so today there are 2.

In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with
reality at any point. - Neitzsche

The Hobbits are just rustic English people, made small in size because it
reflects the generally small reach of their imagination. - J. R. R.
Tolkien



I am Malach, give me your face!

0 comments: