14 Albums everyone should own . .. Pt. 1

7.16.2005

There has been a lot of debate recently about music, what is worthwhile, what is wrong with modern music, and good stuff you never hear across the internet world recently. The following are 14 albums, that if you consider yourself a music eficianado, you should pick up. My criteria for this list was artist, who have had some influence on music, but perhaps did not get the recognition they deserve. Or perhaps an album, that has been overlooked. This is my little effort to pull the kids away from the corporate shlock that is shoved down their throats.

1. The Amazing Royal Crowns (self titled): The Crowns were a New England based phenemonon, that broke up before they could really make it big. Take Elvis, swing, rockabily, and punk, and combine. They played some very catchy tunes. The closet thing I can compare them to is Social Distortion or Reverend Horton Heat. This band still has heavy influence on much of the punk scene to day (I am not refering to Green Day)


2. The Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique: A classic of modern hip hop, rock, and alternative, this changed the Boys from partying frat boys to actually artists. Very few people liked this album originally, as it was way ahead of it's time. Still is.


3. Jeff Buckley - Grace: Listen to Jeff Buckley and hear the voice of God. If not for his untimely death, he would be one of the greatest singer/songwriters of my generation. This album is very hard to listen to and not shed a tear.


4. Cake - Comfort Eagle: Cake has had some seminal hits over the years, but nothing as wonderful as this album. Combining spoken word, some black humor, jazz, funk and rock, Cake will get your hips moving, the chicks singing, and even a mosh pit flowing. We ARE buliding a religion.


5. Ani Difranco - Little Plastic Castles: You can't go wrong with any thing by Ms. Difranco. Excellent singer song writer, huge influence of modern female angst/rriot grrl music. Ani is Joi Mitchell, only better. Social concious, and folksy, with a touch of rock.


6. Faith No More - Angel Dust: Many people seem to forget the groundbreaking work Faith No More did. But forget the Real Thing; Angel Dust is one of the greatest albums ever created. This is the first Album of FNM, that Mike Patton had a lot of creative control on (Patton is my favorite Male singer), and the creativity is years ahead of it's time. I dare you not to like it.


7. Fugazi - 13 Songs: Again an band you really can't go wrong with, ushered punk, emo, and social consious music into the modern era. Schockingly, Fugazi never signed to a major label, nor charged any more than $5 to see a show, and still got rich.


8. Helmet - Meantime: If you like heavy music, go here. Helmet unshered in the modern era of the loud, wall of sound style of music. They were not metal, they were not hard rock. I saw them in 1992, and the sound waves from the music made me vomit. They have a very interesting vocal stylization.


9. Luscious Jackson - Natural Ingredients: These ladies, are the female version of the Beastie Boys, with a bit more funk. Excellent Album. Will make you feet move.


10.Morphine - Cure For Pain: Another band you can't go wrong with any of their albums. Morphine also met an untimely death, their lead singer died of heart failure on stage. Morphine is unlike anything you have ever heard. The band consisted of a Bassist/Vocalist, a Sax, and Drums. They made this very tribal, beat, sexy jazz rock.


11. Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville: Experience the real Liz Phair with this album. This is one of the greatest albums of all time. The stuff liz has done recently was done to "sell albums", not these.


12. Pixies - Doolittle: The greatest band you never heard of. This band had more influence on modern rock than any save Nirvana. This band stuff is eclectic and weird, but amazing. If you have not heard the Pixies, do yourself a huge favor.


13. PJ Harvey - Dry: Polly Jean makes amazing music that is all. Stuff that will blow your mind. If strong women scare you stay away from this one.


14. Ween - White Pepper: This is the Beatles of the modern era. Never having the same album twice, this is one of their best works. You will be shocked that this gets no radio play when you hear it.


Have fun with these, more to come in the future. I am Malach and you are not.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I for one can say I own 5 of those albums right there. At the least.

-Pilaf

Yeah, you rule.

Anonymous said...

Touch me and I'll sue, Balboa!

Samantha Fox fan?

All very good choices. Perhaps not all that I would have chosen but still very good choices none the less.

Big fan of Mike huh? What are your thoughts on Mr. Bungle? Or it's sister band, Secret Chiefs Three? How about Mike's other band, Fantomas?

Mr. Bungle is on my list for part 2 or 3. Mr. Bungle and those other two Patton projects are very avant garde, and I would probably not subject noobs to them.

As for other FNM side project, I LOVE Imperial Teen.

Joey Polanski said...

Malach,

Firs off, thanks fer postin on my blogski. I'm doin a backatcha here.

Secon, dam I feel old, cause I aint never herd o most o these albums. So I dont gots too much t say bout em.

But I do gots a question for ya. I mean I was noticin that yer post is calld "14 albums everyone should own . .. Pt. 1" and yoo list 14 in that post and then at th end you say theres "more to come in the future." How many more o the 14 you got left t mention?

GAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH! I GOTCHA! Im always thinkin!

Yer on my list, an I plan t keep checkin ya out from time t time!

D'OH! I forgot about Imperial Teen. Great stuff too. I'm glad there is someone out here who does know what I'm talking about when I mention Mike's other bands. Most people look at me funny. Forget the fact that I look funny already okay?!?!?! Can't wait to see Part 2 & 3.

Thanks Polanski.